More About The New Tradition Chorus
The New Tradition Chorus is the chapter chorus of the Northbrook Chapter of the Barbershop Harmony Society. We are a charitable, non-profit organization based in the northern suburbs of Chicago, IL. We provide access to the arts and musical education to both our members and our community.
We typically stage several holiday shows with a variety of Christmas and Channukah selections during the first weekend of December. We also put on a several shows during the spring with a new theme each year. Past shows have include Broadway selections, ’40s music, ’50s music, Americana, and much more.
The New Tradition Performs Les Mis (July 2000)
Our Mission Statement
Through a cappella performances of diverse musical styles, the New Tradition Chorus delights audiences, enriches lives and helps men who love to sing become the finest performers they can be, both as individuals and as members of an ensemble dedicated to artistic excellence.
Our Contest Results
We compete in the Illinois District’s chorus contest each fall for the right to represent our district in the International Chorus Contest, which is held each summer during the week of the 4th of July. In 19 apperances in the International Chorus Contest we have won a medal every time, making us one of the most decorated choruses in the history of the Barbershop Harmony Society. In 2008 we were the Barbershop Harmony Society’s 5th Place Bronze Medal Chorus.
- 2008 5th Place Bronze Medalist
- 2007 5th Place Bronze Medalist
- 2006 4th Place Bronze Medalist
- 2005 3rd Place Bronze Medalist
- 2004 3rd Place Bronze Medalist
- 2001 1st Place International Champions
- 2000 2nd Place Silver Medalist
- 1999 2nd Place Silver Medalist
- 1998 2nd Place Silver Medalist
- 1997 2nd Place Silver Medalist
- 1996 2nd Place Silver Medalist
- 1995 2nd Place Silver Medalist
- 1994 2nd Place Silver Medalist
- 1993 2nd Place Silver Medalist
- 1992 5th Place Bronze Medalist
- 1991 4th Place Bronze Medalist
- 1990 3rd Place Bronze Medalist
- 1989 3rd Place Bronze Medalist
- 1988 4th Place Bronze Medalist
About Our Director
As a barbershop chorus director, Dan has frequently been clinician for boys’ choruses for Youth In Harmony barbershop events. He is also a barbershop arranger, having arranged contestable and non-contestable songs for After Hours, The Sound Of Illinois Chorus, and various other choruses and quartets around the Midwest. Dan holds a bachelor’s degree in music education from Bradley University, as well as a master’s degree in choral conducting from Western Illinois University in Macomb, IL. He is currently employed as the choir director at Freeport High School in Freeport, IL.